Dispatches from England – Team Canada and the 2010 World Lacrosse Championships

 This Sunday, Team Canada’s Men’s Lacrosse Team will fly off to Manchester, England to defend its Gold Medal at the 2010 FIL World Lacrosse Championships. Throughout the tournament, I will be providing regular updates on Team Canada as well as other insights and observations relating to the tournament.

To get everyone in the right frame of mind I have included in this first dispatch two excellent pieces of background material related to Canada’s 1978 “Miracle in the Mud” gold medal victory. The first is Head Coach Bobby Allan’s recap of the 1978 game, and the second are reminisces from various players on the 1978 Team. If these two articles don’t get you fired up about Canadian Lacrosse, then nothing will. In both cases I am indebted to Jim Calder, a key member of the 1978 team who has compiled a wealth of information relating to the 1978 Team and provided me with both articles. Enjoy the read – these are superb pieces and will be required reading for anyone associated with Team Canada – thanks again Jim!

Bobby Allan Reflects on the Miracle in the Mud

 In July of 1978, Canada pulled off a miraculous upset by defeating the United States to win the World Field Lacrosse Championship in Stockport, England.  Following are a few of my recollections of that experience.

My first memory of the 78 Team is of Marshall Spence and Doug Budden, of the OLA, coming to our home in Peterborough in November of 1977, to see if I would agree to assume the role of Head Coach of Team Canada.  Lacrosse Canada had decided that due to a lack of funding, we would not be sending a team to England.  That’s where Marshall, Doug and Boyd Baragar stepped in and the project took on new and energetic life.

When the original NLL folded in February, 1976 and my position as coach of the Philadelphia Wings had ended, I really believed that my involvement in lacrosse was finished.  Now, even though my knowledge of the field game was very limited, the thought of returning, especially at this level, was impossible to refuse.  I also knew that preparation time would be short, but little did I realize just how difficult it would be to put the roster together, as well as teach the novices the game.  I include myself and the other coaches Gus McCauley and Don Barrie in that latter group.

I read a magazine article following the championships where Coach Moran of the USA blamed his team’s loss primarily on their limited amount of practice time, compared to that of their competitors.  In July of 1977, 80 USA players attended camps held over two successive weekends and were evaluated by 14 coaches who narrowed the team to “twenty-three of the nation’s best lacrosse players.”  It also reported that at those camps, the players worked on team offense, team defence, riding, clearing and special teams.  Compare that to our second, indoor practice on April 22, 1978, attended by approximately 15 players and featuring Bob Durland, a referee from Syracuse who was attempting to teach us the rules of the game.  Not a very level playing field.

We officially began our outdoor workouts the first weekend in May at York University in Toronto and once again 15 potential players participated.  A handful of high school students who played some box lacrosse were brought along so we would have enough to scrimmage.

We really didn’t have much co-operation from the box lacrosse coaches and the feeling was out there that we were traitors because Canada was a box lacrosse nation and we had no right to be spending money going to England to play this other game.  We had sent out 55 invitations to attend our camps and this included 8 players who were currently at USA schools or who had some NCAA experience.  Since it was primarily an Eastern (OLA) team only 4 players would travel from British Columbia.  The NCAA and BC players (except for Dave Huntley) didn’t join us until the 26th of May weekend.  Dave’s team from Hopkins had gone on an extensive tour following their NCAA Championship victory and he joined us at the Toronto Airport as we were leaving for England.  Many players who were invited were not allowed to be released from their box teams and the numbers who tried out were so low that only a handful of cuts had to be made.  As well, Frank Davis had to drop out a few days before departure and Dan Wilson, one of our best middies against the USA in the round-robin had to return to BC because his father had become gravely ill.

Preparation was not easy considering that over half the roster had never played before and those who did came from a variety of programmes.  No one on our roster had any experience playing defence and as a matter of fact the long shafts did not arrive until the first week of June.  Then, before you could blink an eye, the hacksaws were out and those who were chosen to play this position had shortened them to a more manageable length.  Even so, they did an admirable job with the shorter sticks.

I was invited to speak at the AGM of the OLA later that fall and was still smarting about the lack of co-operation, but I did my best to bridge the gap between the camps, insisting that they were good for each other.  Lacrosse was lacrosse.  I am very proud of the fact that sensible people persevered and today, Canada is at the top in both games.

It didn’t take this group very long to come together.  The plane ride to England and a late night gathering at Piccadilly Circus looked after that. I remember John Grant and Jimmy Wasson entertaining everyone prior to the start of each team meeting.  They would simply cut each other to shreds with some of the nastiest, most clever sarcasm that anyone had ever heard.  The players from other areas didn’t know what to make of it.  I tried to explain that it was just one “Boro Boy” showing his love and affection for another.  I think they thought that everyone from Peterborough was nuts.  You wouldn’t want to step into one of those frays, because, like scrapping brothers, they would both turn on you and a spitting match with either one, let alone two, could be very embarrassing.

I also remember spending many evenings sitting on the floor in the hallway of the residence in Manchester, socializing with a few warm beers, and listening to the late John McCauley hold court.  He was our defensive coach and his six year old son Wesley was our stick boy, so Gus couldn’t stray too far from home on nights off.  Besides keeping everyone loose with his stories, we also spent a great deal of time with the players who attended these sessions, talking about the team and the games.

During the game against Australia, I had to scream at Gus and Don Barrie to lay off the referees or I would make them both leave the bench area.  I could understand Don because he had been a zebra hater his entire life, but Gus was an NHL referee.  The players thought that it was hilarious but they also learned that there would be no double standards on the team.  Gus and Don were great to work with and Wes has followed in his Dad’s footsteps and is now an NHL referee as well.

I really feel that the tightness of the group meant so much when the chips were down.  The players trusted the coaches and we trusted the players.  But of even greater importance, they trusted each other.  There were no big egos (impossible with guys like Grant and Wasson around), just a lot of sharing.

In September of 2008 we held a 30 year reunion in Oshawa and 21 showed up, some travelling from as far away as, British Columbia, San Jose, Philadelphia, South Carolina and Baltimore. It was wonderful to see everyone again and to listen to the old stories one more time. 

I had experienced many years of coaching at all levels and in a variety of sports and learned very early that when you coach kids, you treat them like kids and when you coach men, you treat them like men.  At the older levels you also invite input and assess your personnel before deciding upon a course of action.  None of that “my way or the highway crap”. There is always another way to do things and that’s how you become adaptable.  Having said that, the coach must sift through the input and decide what to use and what to discard.  Ownership is a great motivator.

Dealing with the players in 78 was not a problem.  The game, and how we should approach it, was our problem.  We had many set backs along the way and each time we went back to the drawing board and each time we seemed to get better.  The biggest set back of course was the 28 – 4 drubbing we took in the game vs. the USA in the round robin.

Following that loss, the first thing I had to assess was their mental state.  Personally, I couldn’t have cared less if they had beaten us 100 – 4.  Once you get by a certain number it’s irrelevant anyway. Besides they were just a bunch of guys with sticks and I felt that individually, our guys were better.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that they felt the same way and were itching for another crack at them.  We all agreed that if given another chance, in a sudden death situation, anything was possible.  But first, we had to get past Australia.  When we beat the Aussies, we made a pact that even though the silver was the best any Canadian team had done to that point in these games, it was not acceptable.  “Don’t even let it enter your minds.  We came here for Gold.”

We decided as a team that we had to keep it simple and not try to do things that might diminish our skills.  I felt at times, that trying to do things too much the field way, was hurting us, especially on defence.  They needed to play to their strengths, never be outworked and to trust their partners to do their jobs well.  We also needed great goaltending and a little bit of good luck.

The final stats for the championship game showed that they outshot us (great goaltending) and they won the face-offs, except for the big ones down the stretch.  We won the ground balls, the clears, the rides and the extra man goals.  The good luck came when a debate over a controversial goal went our way near the very end of the game.

I still have a clear memory of the end of the game.  I found myself standing on the sidelines, alone, picking up the equipment that was strewn about and watching the joyous mound of humanity out on the field.  I had ambivalent feelings of happiness and emptiness.  Hard to explain.  Nevertheless, I was soon brought out of the trance by the off-key strains of Freddie Mercury’s , “We are the Champions.”  It never sounded better.

Much has been said and written regarding the prolific scoring of Stan Cockerton and Mike French, the goaltending heroics of Bob Flintoff, the late-game face off  victories of Jimmy Wasson and John Grant’s early backhand goal that gave us such a lift and announced that we were to be taken seriously.  But there was a little game within the game going on that didn’t get much coverage but really played a role in the outcome of the game. 

The late John Ferguson was a very close friend of mine. We met in Nanaimo, BC where we played lacrosse together in 1961and 62.  John played just one more year and was forced to leave the game when the Montreal Canadians bought his contract from the Cleveland Barons in the AHL.  The Habs had grown tired of being chased out of rinks on the road and decided to do something about it by bringing in John, Ted Harris, Terry Harper and Brian Watson among others.  It took Fergy just 12 seconds to announce his arrival when he tangled with Boston’s tough guy, Ted Green.  He very quickly became the heavyweight champ of the NHL but in reality       brought so much more to his team.  On two occasions he scored more than 20 goals for the season ( a benchmark in those days), did not take unnecessary penalties and usually worked harder than anyone in practices and games.  But his real value was in the dressing room.  If you didn’t play your best or give it everything you had, then you didn’t make eye contact with John.  He wouldn’t say anything but you knew that he knew.  Jean Beliveau, one of the greatest ever, paid him the ultimate compliment when he said “You would not dare to give less than your best if you wore the same shirt as John Ferguson.”

I always said that every team needed a John Ferguson and when I began coaching Peterborough in 1965, I was looking for mine.

Carm Collins joined our senior team fresh out of the junior ranks in 1968 and in a few short years became our captain.  In 1974, I made him our first draft pick and captain in Philadelphia and here we were 4 years later in England, with Carm one of the assistant captains, and the leader of the short, long sticks.  A happy-go-lucky guy away from the game but pure business when the jersey went over his head.  The game within the game pitted Carm against the late, great Eamon McEneany, a prolific scorer from Cornell who tragically perished in the Towers on 9/11.

In the round-robin game, the sparks really flew between the two.  I guess one should expect that, when a fiery Irishman is confronted by an equally fiery Irish-Italian.  About halfway through the final quarter and the game already out of reach, Carm was ejected for his fifth personal foul, the last a double for unnecessary roughness against Eamon, who retaliated with a slash and penalty of his own.  He did a lot of jawing but received no response from Carm who never was much of a trash talker. Silence seemed a more effective weapon.

When we defeated Australia and earned the right to play in the final, the USA team was taking the field to play England in the second game of that day’s doubleheader.  As we were leaving the area, Eamon made his way to Carm to congratulate him but Carm ignored him and walked away.  Eamon was clearly livid.  Finally when we lined up for the opening faceoff of the final he made one last attempt to make peace but was once again rebuffed by Collins.  The little game that began during the round robin series was now in full swing.

Prior to the championship game, Eamon was the USA’s leading scorer averaging 7 points per game, 11 goals and 10 assists.  The stats for the final were McEneany 2 goals (one was an extra-man) and 0 assists.  Collins zero penalties.    I don’t think that Eamon was in a feeding mood that day.  Nor do I believe that he was playing Canada.  I believe he was playing Carm Collins.

When it came to preparing for England, Roy Simmons Jr. , the legendary coach from Syracuse, was clearly our saviour.  On the last weekend in May of 78, we travelled to Rutgers to watch the NCAA final and then returned to Syracuse to play an exhibition game the next day.  The following weekend, Roy brought his Syracuse team to Ottawa and really spanked us.  At the reception following that game we picked every brain in the room and then returned to Syracuse a week later and defeated basically the same team.  Roy told me that we learned fast and if we continued to improve we should be alright.

I know that he got himself into hot water for assisting us and I personally didn’t help things when I publicly acknowledged him for his assistance during my speech at the final banquet in England.  He was ahead of his time.  I really believe that he did it because he knew it would make the game better.

Roy is revered by players past and present and taught his Syracuse boys and anyone else who cared to listen as much about life as about lacrosse.  He is still called upon to speak to and inspire those who wear the orange.

For a long time, I felt that the help that he provided, delayed his entry into the USA Lacrosse Hall of Fame.  I hope that wasn’t the case and trust that I was able to wipe the slate fairly clean when # 19 & # 22 arrived in Syracuse.

Like many others who have been involved in sports, I have my superstitions.  Mine came from my Father. “Pick that penny up Bobby, it’s good luck.”

On the morning of the championship game I was on my way to breakfast with my wife Pat and Don and Josie Barrie.  We were waiting to cross the street when I looked down and saw two small English pennies lying side by side.  I picked them up and declared to Don, “There’s the Championship!”  Almost 32 years later they are still scotch-taped to the championship plaque I received in England.

In London, Ontario in 2006, I was standing with a group of friends near the Canadian dressing room waiting to watch the boys play, when I found a shiny penny lying at my feet.  The Canadian players were milling about, waiting to go on the field and I called Steve Toll over.  I told him my penny story and handed him the one I had just found.  I hope he still has it.

Memories of ’78 – Compiled by Jim Calder
Don Barrie – Asst. Coach
·         I remember Bob, Gus and I going over to watch the American’s practice while we were in Manchester, wondering how we would ever match-up with that team.
  • Later, I remember sitting on the floor of the dorm after the loss to the Americans in the round robin discussing how we might transfer the box skills of the team to the field if we ever got another shot at the Americans.
  • Until you are part of a championship team that went through so much adversity to win, you do not realize how close you become with those involved. Some of my best memories in sport revolve around that team.


Mike French – #14
  • There are many, many great memories from ’78.  In general how we came together after our first loss to the U.S.  How we trusted each other under Bobby Allan’s leadership.  I also think the extra man play that we never perfectly executed until the overtime against the U.S. when everything worked to perfection and Stanley was wide open for my pass and ultimately the winning score.  I also think the camaraderie amongst all teams (countries) in the dorm where we all stayed together and interacted was very special.  So many other events…Gypsy and the “white shoes”.
  • I was one of the first to attend a U.S. college (with Jimmy, Hunts, Gypsy, Greves, Calder and a few others).  Now I look at the Canadian influence that we have in the Division I, II and III levels in the NCAA and that makes me feel extremely proud that we were able to pioneer the growth of Canadian field participation as a result of our victory.


Brian Jones  #23
  • The England goalie wanted to get a goalie stick from Flintoff ,turns out the goalies sister owned a wee British Pub and we went there to meet him and his sister I learned never to drink toe to toe with an Englishman!!!!!The next day was the changing of the guards ,it was cold out and I didn’t mind.
  • Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was a classy act of the Americans bringing Champaign down to our room after the championship game.
  • Gus and I where euchre partners in the Boro (Peterborough) one night at the hotel on the tenth floor not sure who we where playing but every time we lost he would throw the deck out the window eventually the police showed up but they couldn’t figure what room we where in – it was priceless the next morning when we where leaving the hotel.
  • 78 was a great experience -,lots of memories and more importantly all the friendships.


Fred Greenwood # 3

  • Playing exhibition games; every team we lost to we beat in the return match. Watching Carm use his stick as a “scythe” on an American opponent in an exhibition match in Peterborough. The recipient was incredulous, he actually said, “You can’t do that”. We just laughed.
  • On the bus to the final ,” Wass” and the rest of us. Can a da! Can a da!
  • After winning, jumping up and down for joy, calling home-we won, incredible.
  • The trading of sticks and sweats with opponents at the get together.
  • Having a Grant in aid to Cornell in 1968( didn’t go) and playing on Eastern National teams in the early 70’s made me realize this game I liked. (tactics and open field awesome). I began coaching high school. The game has grown in leaps and bounds. Must be over 250 kids playing south of the border today.
  • We experienced a” trip of a life time”. Lifelong friendships. To be’ underdogs” and win, there is no better experience in sport.
Jim Branton #25
  • I enjoyed being a part of the Canadian team and am proud of what we accomplished but that was a long time ago. If I am mentioned somewhere down the road as being a small part of that team, I am happy with that. I’m very busy as a construction teacher and coaching in the Oshawa Minor Hockey Association.


Pat Differ # 24

  • Lead up to Trip- All those flights back Friday nights and bus trips to play games then back on the plane Sunday night and to work Monday morning. “Whatcha do on the weekend?”… “Oh.. nothin.” How sore my legs were from the different type of running to box.
  • During Games -Weather! and feeling our way around the field. It was hard being so far away from everybody out there. Somewhere, just before the last couple of games the feeling that ball control was the secret, just like box. Especially during the last game, watching the last faceoff meltdown by the US guys when Wass was cheating on the draw. (what else is new?)
  • After Victory- Bobby saying in the dressing room “We didn’t do bad for not knowing what we’re doing!” My feeling was that something kind of unexplainable had just happened. How we all shared in the experience as a team.
  • From the time I was 7 until I was 42 never missed a summer of lacrosse. Like most of us lacrosse is who we are. The 78 Team was special and over all those years and different teams in different leagues east and west, that Team experience was the shortest but steepest mountain to climb. We were all leaders and great teammates and the experience and result made me a better person with a stronger belief that anything is possible on any given day. Every moment from those days we shared was a very unique Team experience. We were 100% dedicated to lacrosse anyway, being on this Team was an honor.


Sandy Lynch # 27
  • Lead up to Trip – flat tire on our bus on the Sunday of May long weekend on New Jersey Turnpike and spending half the night along the side of the highway, limping along on the bus until we finally arrived into a small sleepy town early Monday AM and went to ‘Al’s Tire Shop’ for repairs…we were so tired, we were so giddy and everything was so funny, especially some of us helping Al fix the tire…..looking back, this hardship & adversity was great team building experience.
  • During Games -dinner in London at Topo Gigio restaurant with Carm, Doug Hayes and some of the boys before going to Manchester.
  • Walking across some fields in Manchester to go to practice on day between games-about 6 of us- and these guys all dressed in white came running out of clubhouse yelling and screaming at us…..I guess we were walking across their Cricket Pitch with our cleats on……(no Cricket in the Boro)
  • After Victory -on field celebration, party at University of Manchester, Ashburne Hall, not sleeping all night, bus trip to London
  • We came home and Stan Cockerton and I started and ran Men’s Oshawa Blue Knights Field Lacrosse team -league and team is still going strong…I got trophy named after me for being one of six founders of league -Stan took over when I moved west in 1983.
  • Arriving in London and going to the Canadian High Commission in the UK………meeting Hugh Falkner on steps coming out as we were going in…………Hugh was our member of Parliament for Peterborough at the time.
  • Jim Calder giving up the treasured #12 jersey to John Grant in dressing room before England……the look of relief and pure joy in Stud’s face could only be truly appreciated by those who have known John and played with him before and knew what that number meant to Long John.
  • Final Dinner / Banquet on the Saturday night……the one English guy talked for over 30 minutes……when he was done, we all gave him a standing ovation…………(I think he actually thought he did a good job)


  • Lead up to Trip – I can recall the fun trip that Art Webster and I took to Maryland, and driving down to Florida from Niagara that took 30 hours (I believe) to play in a tournament and rooming with Gypsy (Johnny Mouradian) at Carlton University while preparing for the World Championship.
  • During Games – Losing 28 to 4 to the American Team and then going on to win in the final against the Americans in triple overtime.
  • After Victory – The bus ride from Manchester back to London after our world championship win and the terrific spirit on the bus. The spirits were flowing as well, and I had one of my funniest moments when we stopped at a rest stop/restaurant on the highway. Gypsy of course made an extremely funny comment and we couldn’t stop laughing for an hour. Also my wife and mother made the trip to England to see the tournament and our victory which was doubly heart warming.
  • As with any teams that are “winners” I have a great affection for the team and the sport. That was the last time I played field lacrosse.
  • I have played many sports for many teams but the three coaches that affected me the most in a favourable way in no particular order are Bob Allen (National Field Team), Bill Ware (Ithaca College) and Peter Conradi (Niagara Jr. B Warriors). There probably isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of one of them. That is probably why lacrosse has a special place in my heart. As well, lacrosse has given me two great friends in Mike French and Johnny Mouradian and the great times we’ve had and for that I will be forever grateful.


John Grant #12

  • Lead up to Trip – I remember our trips down to Syracuse to play exhibition games on Manley Field, stopping off at the Carling Brew store to stock up for our brewskies.
  • During Games – It was so cold and miserable that most of us were bitching and chewing about the weather. I remember one practice, the sun came out, and we dropped our sticks and cheered. Five minutes later it poured down rain again. I remember at breakfast, Barry Bartlett stood up and gave us crap about all the negativity that he had to listen to about the weather etc. He called us a bunch of wimpy Canadians. The next taping was at 2 and if he heard another negative we could tape ourselves. We gave him a standing ovation. 
  • After Victory – I remember going crazy on the field after we won, singing victory songs and I remember sitting in the dressing room reflecting on our accomplishment and thinking that I was glad it was over, that we could get back to Canada and enjoy the summer. I traded my stick for a Bobby’s hat. Coming in to the Toronto Airport the doors opening up and the amount of people that were there to cheer for us was a great memory of what we had accomplished in representing our sport and our country.
  • Anytime you can represent your country while playing the sport that you love can only have a positive impact on you. This experience helped to further develop my National pride.
  • You never know what role you play in the History of the Game but our ’78 team put a lot of pressure on other Canadian teams to win. Finally, in 2006 at the World Championships in London Ontario, John Jr. asked if he could take my ’78 field helmet to the team’s dorm. As it sat on the table, players reflected on beating the US for the gold. On their way down to the stadium, they each tapped the helmet and wrote in magic marker ’78 on their helmets. They went on to win the 2006 World Championships and finally broke, according to Gary Gait, the “curse”.


Jim Calder #2
  • Lead Up – I was attending Hobart as a Junior at the time and tried out with the team when they came through Syracuse. Even though I had been born in Regina I have to say that I was by all definition an “American” at that point. I had only recently learned that I was still Canadian and eligible for the team just before Syracuse. Over the remainder of that spring I took a lot of long bus rides from Geneva, N.Y to Toronto and Ottawa to meet up with the team. I remember we took a trip back to the US by bus one weekend and went through customs. Bobby Allan and the staff warned us to be on our best behaviour. The customs officer came on board the bus and was making his way through the bus asking questions of every player. He got to the back of the bus and we thought we were good until he made it to the “’Boro Section”. He asked John Grant what was his citizenship. John replied with his goofiest grin – “Canader – Sir!” We were ordered off the bus immediately and had to unload everything while they took their time searching every nook and cranny. Bobby and the management were not very happy.
  • Another Canadian moment was when Brian Jones took me to see a glitter band in Ottawa during a weekend training camp. We were drinking quarts of Extra Stock and the band was performing “The First Cut is the Deepest” and they had a fake razor that left a trail of fake blood on the lead singer’s face. For a lacrosse player entertainment doesn’t get much better than that!
  • During the Games: I just remember how embarrassed and pissed off I felt when we got whomped by the US in the preliminary round 28-4! I had never been on a team that folded like that! Mike French took me aside and explained what box lacrosse series play was all about. We knew we only had one possibility of beating the US in the tourney and after the poor start we had that day the players intuitively knew that that wouldn’t be the day. So they let it go. It really set the US up for the second meeting. No matter how hard they would try to focus on us as a worthy opponent in the final – how could they? – given that score. Also – everyone who attended the final game was for Canada – the crowd was on our side because we were such underdogs.
  • I remember how Marshall Spence and Boyd Baragar (the two men who made Canada’s entry possible that year) worked over the US coaching staff at various functions in between the preliminary round and the championship. They actually caused a schism in the US brain-trust which affected the US team in the final game. Everybody did their part in ‘78
  • One thing that Canada had that made up for its lack of field lacrosse experience (only 7 guys with NCAA experience) was character. Most of the players on the team were captains and had Minto and Mann Cup experience. They were winners. Also – we had some real size – Doug Hayes, Ted Greves, Mike French, Carm Collins, Jim Branton, Murray Cawker, Brian Jones, Sandy Lynch – to name a few – were all big men – and they played with a physicality that the US hadn’t seen. Even the smaller middies, Jimmy Wasson and Johnny Mouradian, hit hard and often and played big.
  • After the Victory: I remember on the bus ride over to the stadium how quiet the bus was. I was thinking we were in trouble and that everyone was scared. And then the sticks started beating the floor about a mile out from the Stadium. I have never been on a louder bus – the energy made its way out on the street as we neared the stadium. I have met a US fan at subsequent world championships that was there that day and he heard the bus before it reached the stadium. He said it was unbelievable. We had nothing to lose and felt comfortable in our collective skin. I call that day “The Miracle in the Mud” as it was reminiscent of WWI and trench warfare. The field was wet and the sky was mainly grey and we were up to our ankles in mud around the face-off  “X” and in the crease areas. All I can say is that it was a helluva game. – Back and forth, hard hitting, good calls and bad calls…and we scored last in triple overtime!  We sang “we are the Champions” as we made our way off the field – everyone in the stadium stunned at what they had just seen – a 28-4 underdog winning the world championship! The evening’s festivities are a blur…the bus ride back to London was a blur……Crown Royal and lots of singing…….I truly believe this upset helped International Lacrosse to continue. Up to that point it had been all USA and the other countries were getting discouraged.  It kept it going.
  • Being a part of Team Canada and that improbable world championship changed my life. I subsequently moved back to Canada for good and have made my home and raised my family here. I have been involved with the game at all levels as an organizer, promoter and coach.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to DISPATCHES FROM ENGLAND.. By J Donville #1

  1. Mr WordPress says:

    Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

  2. Pingback: Digits: From Cockerton to Greer and everything in between and after

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s